Friday, November 28, 2014

2014 Atlanta Half Marathon - Earn Your Turkey

Why would someone want to wake up at 4-4:30AM to run a race on Thanksgiving?  For some, Thanksgiving is about giving thanks, time with family, turkey, and football.  But indulge me for a moment as I recap the days event.


On November 27th the Atlanta Track Club, the sponsors, and most importantly the thousands of volunteers put on a great event to kick off the holiday.  For many this race means many things.  Little unknown fact, this was my first road race.  I've been running the Atlanta Half Marathon since 2008, so it holds a special place in my racing history.  Like previous years this year was just as great as the first time.  Over the years I've experienced many things... a mental breakdown on the hill near the capital - about mile 12.5, last years crazy 100 year record sub 20 temps, to my first go at running with a pace group.  Pro tip... if you aren't quite sure of the pace you can run maybe put the pace tag on the front of your shirt.  Comments from the peanut gallery can be demoralizing as they pass saying, "You aren't running that pace".  'Really? I hadn't noticed... busy here trying to survive genius!'

Going into the race, my plan was to enjoy the sights (or is it 'sites' I can never remember) and sounds of the event.  After warming up, I went to the starting corral to get ready for the start.  On the way there I got to see a few of my running peeps.  Group photo!!!  Can you see Cristal?  Love my run crew.


After the national anthem and the start, we were off.  The tour through Atlanta was great... starting at the Olympic rings we run past Centennial Olympic Park, Atlantic Station, Piedmont Park, Oakland Cemetery, and back to Turner Field.  Outside of feeling like I was running through a wind tunnel, the tour was amazing.  The Atlanta Police Department, cheer zones, and volunteers cheered us on through the streets of downtown.  Amazingly, no one yelled "You're almost there".  Ha!

 

This race capped off the Triple Peach race series - Peachtree Road Race, Atlanta 10 miler, and Atlanta Half Marathon.  The vibe from this year was great and well worth the build up.

With the Atlanta tour done... it was time for tailgating with the run crews to give thanks and celebrate each other.  Had a great time listening to everyone's recap, plans for the holidays, and Margo's words of wisdom - "Real athletes don't run with phones".  LOL...  Love it!  



So, why would someone wake up so early to run on Thanksgiving?  Not only do you earn your Turkey, like a good friend says, "You get to eat both pumpkin and apple pie!"  Thanks for indulging me by reading my recap.  If you've never done this race you should do it at least once.  If a half marathon is not your speed there is also a 5K race... or better yet you can volunteer or just hang out and enjoy the humanity.  Happy Thanksgiving and... Keep Running!!






No comments:

Post a Comment