Monday, September 21, 2015

Three weeks until Chicago!

“A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.” ~ John F. Kennedy

Crunch time is quickly approaching.  Last week, I spent the usual training cycle focusing on fast foot turnover, dialing in my tempo pace, and finalizing my nutrition and hydration plan.  So far so good.  I’m still feeling the lingering effects of one of hamstring strains.  For the most part I’m able to make corrections during my run to compensate, still an issue I’ll have to monitor.  I’ll continue my treatment routine to keep things loose and hopefully things will come together come game time.  Training recap listed below.  Enjoy.

Monday: 40 Min Stationary Bike
Last year for the Soldier Marathon build up I incorporated more stationary bike work.  I got some good results from doing so and decided to bring it forward into this marathon training cycle.  Initially I made a switch to a road bike.  Something funky was going on there, too much too soon more than likely.  Because I had too much at stake I decided to go back to what worked.

Tuesday: Track work – 10x400s
The need for speed.  Since my second marathon I’ve incorporated speed work into my marathon build ups.  This week I was fortunate enough to work out with a former LSU track star.  Was a great experience.  He humbled me and provided a great push that I really needed.



Wednesday: REST
Very much needed!!

Thursday:  Tempo Thursday – 8 miles and running
How do you know what you can handle until you know that you can handle it?  I typically start out with a 1-2 mile warm up then progressively work my way up to marathon pace +/- 15 seconds.  The weather this week has been perfect.



Friday: 40 Min Stationary Bike
Easy bike ride to end the week.



Saturday: REST
Lazy Saturday.  Spent the day watching BG3 at her soccer game.  Get a lot of enjoyment watching her come into her own.  Looking forward to seeing what the season brings.



Sunday: 20 miles
Sunday fun-day!  Being the last 20 on the Chicago build up I was a bit nervous on this one.  I didn’t finalize my route until late Saturday night.  Wasn’t too sure if I wanted to run.  Do I go with a water drop?  Do I cut it short?  Not sure what was going on.  When I finally got to the run meet up I decided to just let the first mile guide the way.  Was a great run.




The good:  That week is over.  Move on.
The bad:  I have to get out of my head and focus.  1 mile at a time.
The ugly:  Never trust a fart on a 20 mile run.  Proceed with caution.  ß Ha!! No nothing happened!
Motivational Moment: 




Feedback, questions?  Let me know.  Would love to hear from you!

Keep Running!


Jerome

No comments:

Post a Comment